Grateless DriZzler, Rostlosen DriZzler.

All about DriZzleR Gasifiers. DriZzleR projects welcome!
Alles über die DriZzleR Holzvergaser. DriZzleR Projekte willkommen!
luk
Site Admin
Grateless DriZzler, Rostlosen DriZzler.

Beitrag von luk »

Hello folks,

Long time not beeing on the forum, because hard working on our new projects. "The grateless gasifiers". First is a standard DriZzleR, adapted for grateless gasifying, and the second is a grateless updraft. The latter beeing a totaly new project nor tested.

The downdraft DriZzleR, is so far finished, that we could preform a proof of concept test. We fired it up two day's ago and let it run undisturbed for 7 hours and something.

Normaly, the grate DriZzleR, after an operating time between 2 to 5 hours starts to show isues. Depending on the fuel the grate starts to block. Either from heavy ashloaden wood or from a mixture of ash and impurety's, (nails, stones clinker.....) The result of a partly blocked grate is, higher presure drop and lesser production of gas.
With a special designed grate, pyramidical, revolving or other, one could lenthen the operating time. In a small agsifier the easiest method chosen is shaking or turning the grate.

Our solution is eliminating the grate all together. Simply just removing the grate without side precautions was not the solution. I works well but ireulary. Sometimes after a short time, sometimes only after a longer time the uneven build up of charcoal give fuel flow isues. The easiest solution one think of at first, is an ash and charcoal auger remover, trigered by time, underpressure or temperature. That is a real pitty because a lot of good charcoal will be waisted.

Finaly we came up with a process we called, "The suspension principle". Again as in every gasifier, there is no such thing as a free lunch. To bring your gasifier in suspension, the gasifier must be in balance. DriZzleR tube diameter, suction and fuel feed have to be in a certain relation. When these three elements are in harmony then over time the gassed out wood desintegrate into the finest elements, comes in suspension with the gasstream and is evacuated together with the gas.
The non gasious are then filtered out in the cyclone and prefilter.

The gasifier runs continious, only fuel has to be delivered but no manual periodiacal clean out is needed. For best function the process has to be helped a little. When one pushes the fuel it generates inside the gasifier small shockwaves that gives off the exstra push to launch the internal clouds of ash. Same as a grate shaker taht blows off the ash and dust from the coal. Only here we have no grate to be shaken.
To hammer on the fuel, the good old "pyrotouch kompactor" came off the shelve and was redesigned, losely based on "the cam hammer design of Leonado da Vinci".
Also to achieve some effect the hammer has to beat on solids. So far we could not achieve good results on a transparant fluffy standard flaming pyrolyse bed. We had to cover the flaming pyrolyse with always solid woodchips by letting the fuel dominate only possible by reducing the DriZzle tube to its absolute minimum of 84mm.
This resulted in sligtly worse gas than we usaly see with a dominant and flaming ember bed in a broad tube.

Also we had to design a sensor to detect too much charcoal rise inside the gasifier. Indeed the gasifier goes in suspension only at max temperature. The sensor triggers an auger that sits underneed the gasifier and that takes the overload of charcoal,at the same time also nails, stones and oder dirt and shovels it in a waist bin.

So this is in a nutshell the working of this Grateless gasifier. Enjoy the video but be aware that this is only just the very first test.
We am intending to fire the grateless regualary and only open it, after a 50 hours run. If we reach this 50 hours run; only then we can say this design is valid.

Luk Vanhauwaert
Pacal Kirchner
The inventors of the DriZzleR
Bulldoc

Re: Grateless DriZzler, Rostlosen DriZzler.

Beitrag von Bulldoc »

Schön wieder was von Dir zu sehen Luk
Hast du keine bedenken dir deine Sämtliche Zonen zu verdichten mit deinen Hammer ? Dein Hackgut sieht schön regelmäßig aus aber sobald eine Überlänge mal dazwischen kommt denke ich Harkt es.
Weiter so nur durch solche Versuche bekommt man Erfahrungen
Bull
luk
Site Admin

Beitrag von luk »

Bulldoc,

Danke, Aber nicht vergessen auch Pascal hatt wesentliches beigetragen.
Das verdichten glaube wir wird sogar positiver wirken als negative. Mit dass verdichten wird die brennstoff kompacter und wird theoretisch die heizzwert steigen und kommt auch weniger luft (der kalt ist) durch damit dass ganse einige grad warmer wird.
Uberlangen konnen probleme geben aber die siebe ich immer aus weil die hackschitzel die ich zugeliefert kriege befassen manchmal stucke von 6 bis 9cm. Positives ist der test mit die shaflinge. (von 2 bis 10mm) Die konnte ich fruher nicht feueren weil der rost sofort zusass. Jetz fresst der vergaser die auch und werde ich die feinanteile wieder michen konnen mit die ausgesiebte (20 bis 30mm).
Dort wo ich fuher i sack gesiebte hatte fur 2 zacke feinteilen und viertel sack ubermasse, werde ich jetz ne ganse menge sparen. Naturlich muss der rostlosen sich erst bewahren in ein dauertest von mindestens 50 stunden. Dann erst werde ich ihm offenmachen und reinschauen konnen und konkludieren konnen obe es ein wirksahmen entwurf geworden ist.

Luk
luk
Site Admin

Beitrag von luk »

Hallo alle,

Here an update on the grateless.

After my stupid try with the cokes. I started the gasifier completely new and fired him up again for 6 and a half hours yesterday. Video is coming.
This morning after sitting 12 hours in the freesing temperature of minus 3 degrees celcius, he was still over 200 degrees warm. A pitty I had not the time to fire it up right away without lighting with the torch.
Today at 16:30it still he had 64 celcius inside after 24 hours sitting.Did not started up from itself anymore, so I torch lid it. It only reached a temperature of 435 celcius at 10 cm of the outcome of the reduction after 3 hours burn time. Which is much cooler than the max temp yesterday. 720 celcius heighest but dropping to 525 at the end.

Gas quality in this grateless is not as good as in a DriZzleR, lots of blue but also redisch yellow. After running the gas through the filter, which I do always the last half hour, gas turned to the deepest blue. I stopped at a three and a half hours run, making the total in two runs beeing 10 hours solid burning without touching or shaking anything, Never before I could do that.

So far gas quality is not my prime concern. I will tweek for that later, but very positive is the fact that by the 10 hours total, so far was not the slightest pressure drop. Underpressure stays all the time at zero. Also the flare does not alter in heithg. The ash charcoal level keeps always at the original level. I made arangements for an ash auger but so far not needed. The gasifier seems in perfect balance, the suspension idea works. What comes in does goes out, in perpetuom mobile. That means the gasifier can be ran without any form of clean out. That is the very good news and this brings me a step closer to the gasifier I had in mind from the very beginning, a continious running one with no to little needs for cleanouts.
Also operation is death simple, Start the blower light the torch hit the start butten of the controller, and between one and two minutes a very strong sustainable flare. Yesterday was exstreme windy. Flare went all directions but never went out, never shortened.
I just sit next to the grateless, bored, while it works itselve during the long hours. I should buy a temperature datalogger and make a big two cubic meters container and let it run the night through. Maybe I do that next.

Appart from the “not DriZzleR quality gas”, the drop of temperature gives me some worries.

Luk
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
holzgaser

Beitrag von holzgaser »

Hallo Luk,

sieht gut aus!

Gruß holzgaser
luk
Site Admin

Beitrag von luk »

Holzgaser, und allen,

Danke fur dass complement, special von einen proffesional. Ich binn ganz hinter mit video's uber die vergangene 14 stunden brennen, aber habe hier zwei kleine die ein bitchen erklaren wass ich meine mit der vergaser in "Suspension"

Und hier ein video mit dass aussupendierte material

Luk
luk
Site Admin

Beitrag von luk »

Hallo leute,

Habe heute der ersten video von eine series auf youtube gezetst. Diesmal nachdem der ersten test misgelungen war binn ich ganz wieder von neu angefangen. Hier kommt er. Ubrigens ist der titel in diesen thread nicht richtig. Dies ist kein DriZzleR vergaser. Vielleicht werd Pascal Ihm besser in der rubrik "andere vergasern" unterbringen.

Danke fur vorbeischauen.

Luk
alenergy

Beitrag von alenergy »

hello.. any video update on grateless reactor?
luk
Site Admin

Beitrag von luk »

Marco,

Just a moment patience still, it is loading. I have a slow internet and it takes 6 hours.

Luk
luk
Site Admin

Beitrag von luk »

Hello folks,

As promished here a compilation of the further duration testing of the grateless. I cam already say thet I did not made it to the aimed 50 hours.

Why that is you seed in the following video.

Does this means the design is a failure. I think not. Appart from stoker feed gasifiers i have not seen others that can run so long being untouched. Yes, during all the hours testing I never shaked, or opened, or poked, or vibrated the machine. It kept breathing very well untill a few hours before ending.

I gathered some conclusions and shall slightly change the design.

Beware, a film of a duration test where (Lukely) not much happens can be very boring. This video will be looked at with intrests only by the people that are knowing what is at stake here. An attempt to overcome the limitations of a stadard grate stationary gasifier.

here is the direct link: Grateless gasifier; 24 hours run.

Luk
Antworten

Zurück zu „DriZzleR Gasifiers - DriZzleR Holzvergaser“